楼主#更多 发布于：2021-01-14 20:12
1. Write down the names of the authors of the following literary works: (9 points)
A. The House of MirthB. Herzog
C. The Sound and the Fury D. The Grass Is Singing
E. Lord of the FliesF. Possession
H. “Wherever I sat, there I might live, and the landscape radiated from me accordingly.”
I. “Beauty is truth, truth beauty,--that is all / Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.”
2. Explain THREE of the following literary terms: (in about 50 words for each) (9 points)
A. postmodernism B. feminism
C. unreliable narrator D. the Beat Generation
E. dramatic monologue F. Bildungsroman
3. Describe and make comments on THREE of the following characters: (in about 50 words for each) (12 points)
A. Shylock (in The Merchant of Venice)
B. Friday (in Robinson Crusoe)
C. Mr. Kurtz (in Heart of Darkness)
D. Sethe (in Beloved)
E. Blanche (in A Streetcar Names Desire)
4. Answer ONE of the following questions: (in no less than 100 words) (10 points)
A. “The American Dream” is a major theme running through the American literary history. Please define the term in cultural, historical contexts, and then illustrate with examples.
B. What is the significance of “Harlem Renaissance” in the American literary history? Please illustrate your points with examples.
5. Read the following poem and write a short essay based on the following questions:(in no less than 100 words) (10 points)
Fire and Ice
by Robert Frost (1874-1963)
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
A) Do you think the natural world will end someday? If yes, how will the world end in your opinion?
B) What’s the relationship between fire and desire and that between ice and hate?
C) What’s your interpretation of the poem?